Welcome to Year Five
- Mrs Watkinson teaches Year 5 all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Mrs Wilkins teaches Year 5 all day Thursday and Friday.
- To support work in class, we ask that children read every night.
- We will be continuing to send home maths homework each week. This will largely support the learning done in class. Maths will be given out each Friday. Please bring it back to school each Thursday. Please encourage your child to work independently if they can. If you support them with answering any questions, please put a star beside it so that we know they had support. Thank you.
- English homework will also be set each week. This will support the learning done in class and will be given out each Wednesday. Please bring it back to school each Monday. There will also be a spelling sheet every week, with an opportunity to practise each day. The spelling test will be on a Monday.
- Most children in Year 5 are free-readers and will enjoy reading independently. Please encourage your child to read a range of types of books, both fiction and non-fiction and newspapers, especially broadsheets. Please aim to listen to them read at least 3 times per week. They have all been provided with a Home School Record Book, which enables you to make comments and sign each week. Please ensure this book is in school on a Monday and kept in their bag all week so it is always available in school as children will not have a specific reading day.
- Often we will try to slip additional reading in during the day. For this reason please ensure that your child’s reading book is in class every day.
- Our PE day for the Autumn term is Monday; please could you ensure that your child has their PE kit in school for this day. Many children leave their PE kits here all week and they are sent home every half term.
- Year 5 swim in the Autumn term and the first session is Wednesday 12th September. You will have already had a separate letter about this.
- We have daily sessions of reading, English and Maths. The children will be split into groups according to our assessments of their ability.
- We place a big emphasis on children working collaboratively within lessons.
- Children are provided with all of the equipment that they may need for their lessons so there is no need for them to bring pencil cases in.
- Please contact us on the yard if we are available or write a short note.
- Please note that we do not read messages in the reading diary unless we are reading with your child.
- Please can you discourage children from bringing games, toys or other possessions into school other than if asked. We cannot look for broken, swapped or lost possessions.
What We’ve Been Up To:
Restart a Heart Day 2018. Without CPR the chances of surviving cardiac arrest are zero. On Tuesday, 16 October, join us on Restart a Heart Day and learn how to save a life. Continue Reading →
Today every child in KS2 split up into their respective house teams and either took part in a quiz or sports multi-skills as part of the KS2 Inter-House Competition. The Continue Reading →
Year 5 have been learning about our local history. They have been looking at two particular local artists who use Stoke-on-Trent and its bottle kilns in their work. These artists Continue Reading →
Well done to all the children who took part in the A Team football tryouts today, you showed some real teamwork. Good luck.
24th October 2018 – Film Night On the 24th October 2018 the PTFA will be hosting a film night at the school. Chosen film to be announced, which will either Continue Reading →