COVID 19 Home Education
Dear Parent / Guardian
By now you should have received your Home Education pack containing worksheets and games relating to Maths, English and Phonics that have either already been covered in class or would have been in the coming weeks.
With regards to the Maths sheets, the questions get progressively more difficult and it may be that your child can only complete the first one or two. However, with support they may be able to `have a go’ at the more challenging ones.
I have enclosed blank `News’ sheets that the children may wish to complete depending on circumstances in the upcoming weeks . If the children cook or bake anything they can write instructions for what they did on the enclosed template. Likewise, if they do any craft there is a more appropriate instruction template on the other side.
Practical activities can be done alongside to support their learning, such as measuring household objects with non-standard units, such as paperclips, counters or Lego bricks, or they can use a ruler. Weighing objects when baking or filling and comparing different containers in the bath are also useful activities and fun to do.
We will be looking at plants after Easter, children could plant a seed and observe its growth, recording what they see in words and / or pictures.
You may wish to photograph your child completing some of these activities , and in deed anything else they decide to do, and produce a scrapbook or sheet that they can bring into school and talk about with the rest of the class.
There is no timetable for the work, just do what you can when you can as we do appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different.
With regards to reading, it does not matter what the children read as long as they are reading. They can read their home readers, their own books or ones from the library, even comics but please record this in their reading diary.
Finally, in addition to Education City where I will be loading work / games for the children to complete, at the bottom of the hard copy letter I have listed some other websites that you may find useful.
I hope you find this information helpful.
If you feel the need to contact me my email address is:
Lallen@williamamory.staffs.sch.uk. Please note I will only be available to respond to emails between the times of 10-11am and 2-3pm on week days during term time only. If I am inundated please bear with me if you do not get an immediate response. I will do my very best to answer any questions or queries but please understand some things may be difficult to resolve remotely.
www.whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year1 if you click on the link there are PowerPoints to further support your child’s learning on weight and volume, there are additional worksheets if you wish to print them.
Kind regards & stay safe.
Mrs Allen & Miss Hollis
Class Teacher: Mrs Allen
Teaching Assistant: Miss Hollis & Miss Blackhurst
- To support work in class, we ask that children read every night.
- Precision maths folders are given out on a Monday and we ask that they are returned on Friday.
- Other homework may be issued on an ad hoc basis.
The school uses Letters and Sounds as our phonics scheme.
- In Year One we listen to the children read at least once a week, we have guided reading sessions four days a week.
- Obviously there is a great deal more reading goes on in class.
- Often we will try to slip additional reading in during the day. For this reason please ensure that your child’s reading book is in class every day.
- Our PE lessons are on Tuesday and Friday, please ensure that your child has their kit in school on these days.
- We have daily sessions of reading, English and maths. The children will be split into groups according to our assessments of their ability.
- We place a big emphasis on children working collaboratively within lessons.
- Children are provided with all of the equipment that they may need for their lessons so there is no need for them to bring pencil cases in.
- Please contact us on the yard if we are available or write a short note.
- Please note that we do not read messages in the reading diary unless we are reading with your child.
- Please can you discourage children from bringing games, toys or other possessions into school other than if asked. We cannot look for broken, swapped or lost possessions.
What We’ve Been Up To:
Year 1 have been learning about weight in Maths. They have used the balancing scales to compare weight of different objects. The children first had to estimate if an item Continue Reading →
Year 1 have been focusing on Kenya, and as part of their topic they have been looking at different national parks. Inspired, the children worked in small groups to design Continue Reading →
A big well done and thank you to all the children who raised money through their sponsorship forms for the ‘Sports for Schools’ day. All your money has gone towards Continue Reading →
Well done to all the children for taking part in the Stoke City Penalty Shoot-out. We could all see some future football players in our school and everyone was a Continue Reading →
What a thoroughly enjoyable morning the children had working up a sweat completing the fitness circuit led by olympic athletes, Joe Roebuck and Amy Smith. They were very inspiring and Continue Reading →