The school aims to provide a happy, secure, stimulating and challenging environment in which each pupil can work to his/her full potential. Education, to a high academic standard, is delivered through a broad balanced curriculum providing equal opportunities for all pupils. Great emphasis is placed by the staff upon the pupil’s moral and social development; good manners and self discipline are considered very important. The school has strong links with the St. Peter’s Church and the Methodist church in Blythe Bridge; the school holds regular school services to which parents and friends attend and clergy visit the school to lead assemblies.
A wide variety of experiences and opportunities including courses at residential outdoor activity centres are offered. The school provides a wide range of extra-curricular activities which are considered to play an important part in the life of the school including: cooking, art, netball, football, athletics, cricket, badminton, rounders, table-tennis and multi-skills. After-school clubs are held regularly throughout the year and are available to all pupils. The school is affiliated to the Cheadle and District (CADSSA) and Blythe Bridge (BBSSA) Primary School Sports Associations and take part in numerous inter-school activities and tournaments throughout the year.The ethos of The William Amory Primary School is based upon the home/school partnership where as well as a thriving Parent, Teachers and Friends Association, (PTFA), parents are actively encouraged to become involved within the school to work with staff and pupils, strengthening the team spirit and the home/school relationship.
William Amory, of Stonehouse, in his will dated; August 26th 1728 left to his wife, 7 acres, 2 roods and 10 perches of land, known as Pool-Street Meadows in the Parish of Dilhorne. He directed that after his wife’s death, trustees be appointed to the building of a schoolhouse.
The school was to be built in the Blythe Marsh and the master to teach freely the children of the poor in the immediate locality. His directions were, in due course carried out. However, in 1809 new trustees were appointed to administer all that William Amory had bequeathed. The schoolhouse had, by this time, fallen into decay and classes had been suspended. It was two or three years before renovation and subsequent re-opening of the school was possible.
About the early 1850’s the number of pupils was 125, all learning the 3 R’s. John Spilsbury was the school master and Assistant Overseer. By 1876 the schoolhouse was no longer used and a new school for boys was built in 1878 with funds from the charity.
The name Amory appears quite frequently in documents of Forsbrook’s past. So it was in 1728 when William Amory, who must have had a social conscience, founded a free school in Blythe Bridge. The school was built on the site now occupied by the library and police station.
In the early 1850’s it seems that the Grammar school, founded by Mr. Amory was closed and another school was built. The need for more school places was another effect of the increase in population, so with funds from Mr. Amory’s foundation, The Marsh School was built in 1878, next to the chapel in Uttoxeter Road.
The William Amory Primary School is an amalgamation of The Marsh Primary School and Draycott Manor Primary School and opened as such in September 2006. The school was officially opened by Cllr Robert Simpson, Councillor Elect for Children and Lifelong Learning, on Wednesday 28th March 2007.